Visiting our Site
Because Shofuso reflects the conditions of seventeenth-century Japan, it is not wheelchair or scooter accessible. Shofuso is not easily accessible to users of walkers, canes, or prosthetics. Those devices are permitted in the house so long as they have rubber tips or are covered in a soft protective covering to preserve our historic flooring. For more information, please see Title II of the ADA.
In keeping with Japanese tradition, visitors must remove their shoes before entering the house. Please wear socks or stockings; bare feet are not permitted. Please note that the temperature inside the house is the same as outside, so please wear thick socks during cooler temperatures! While in the garden, however, shoes must be worn. Remember, socks that have touched dirt are no better than shoes.
If you are unable to take off your shoes, we can provide shoe covers for you to wear inside the house, though staff will inspect shoes to determine if they would pose the risk of damage to our historic flooring (heels, cleats, steel-toed shoes, etc., will not be allowed in the house.)
Guided tours of the house are available at no additional cost but are dependent on docent availability. Groups of 10 or more require a reservation. For more information, see our Group Tours page.Buy Tickets
Shofuso is located on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
Lansdowne and Horticultural Drives
West Fairmount Park
Philadelphia, PA, 19131
- Take Exit 341 from I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway).
- Head west on Montgomery Drive
- Turn left onto Belmont Mansion Drive (at the sign for the Horticultural Center and the Japanese House and Garden)
- Slight left onto Horticultural Drive (pass through the black iron gate)
- Turn right to stay on Horticultural Drive (follow the drive around the greenhouses to the Japanese House)
- Park in our free parking lot
Trucks / Charter Bus Directions
- Take Exit 342 from I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway)
- Turn right onto W Girard Ave
- Turn right onto Parkside Ave
- Turn right onto 41st Dr
- At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit on Lansdowne Dr
- At the stop sign, turn left to stay on Lansdowne Dr
- Drive through the black iron gate
- Park in our free parking lot
Public Transportation Directions
Shofuso is located a five-minute walk from the Please Touch Museum, on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
- Take Septa Bus 38, Septa Bus 40, or the PhillyPhlash to the Please Touch Museum.
- If facing the Please Touch Museum, turn left and walk down the Avenue of the Republic until you reach the sign for Shofuso Japanese House and Garden
- Turn right onto the path and follow it until you go through the gate
- Shofuso will be directly ahead
Hours of Operation
April through October:
Wednesday through Friday 10am to 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 11am to 5pm
November through December:
Open on weekends only
November 4th - December 15th, 10am to 4pm
We are available during the week for pre-booked groups of 10 or more. For more information, please see our Group Tours page.
$8: Senior citizens
$8: Children 5-17
$8: Students with College ID
$2: ACCESS Cardholders with photo ID, plus up to four family members at $2 each
Free: Children under the age of 5
Free: Active duty military ID holder plus up to five family members
Parking is free.