Visiting our Site
Shofuso is now closed for the season, and will reopen on Wednesday, March 22, 2023.
READ CAREFULLY: Please be sure not to leave any valuables in your car due to a recent spate of break-ins in Fairmount Park targeting cars with clearly visible bags and laptops. Before visiting, double-check that to see that you have your wallet, camera and other personal items. We are not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles or contents.
Reserve Timed Tickets
Admission is by timed ticket only and capacity is limited. Tickets can be purchased online up to three weeks in advance. Depending on availability, timed tickets are also available for in-person purchase at Shofuso. Please note that Shofuso is open rain or shine. Photoshoots are not permitted during regular open hours. ALL TICKETS ARE FINAL AND NON REFUNDABLE.
JASGP Members enjoy priority access to Shofuso and can come in anytime we are open without a reservation. Become a member and skip the lines!
Hours of Operation
March 22 through October 29:
Wednesday through Sunday 11am to 5pm
November 4 through December 10:
Saturday and Sunday 10am to 4pm
$9: Senior citizens
$9: Children 5-17
$9: Students with College ID
$2: ACCESS Cardholders with photo ID, plus up to four family members at $2 each
Free: Children under the age of 5
Free: Active duty military ID holder plus up to five family members
Free: Philadelphia High School students may use their student ID to gain entrance to the Shofuso for FREE, thanks to STAMP, a city-wide initiative led by Art-Reach. For more information, visit www.art-reach.org/STAMP
Parking is free.
Because Shofuso reflects the conditions of seventeenth-century Japan, it is not wheelchair or scooter accessible. Shofuso is not easily accessible to users of walkers, canes, or prosthetics. Those devices are permitted in the house so long as they have rubber tips or are covered in a soft protective covering to preserve our historic flooring. For more information, please see Title II of the ADA.
In keeping with Japanese tradition, visitors must remove their shoes before entering the house. Please wear socks or stockings; bare feet are not permitted. Please note that the temperature inside the house is the same as outside, so please wear thick socks during cooler temperatures! While in the garden, however, shoes must be worn. Remember, socks that have touched dirt are no better than shoes.
If you are unable to take off your shoes, we can provide shoe covers for you to wear inside the house, though staff will inspect shoes to determine if they would pose the risk of damage to our historic flooring (heels, cleats, steel-toed shoes, etc., will not be allowed in the house.)
Guided tours of the house are available at no additional cost but are dependent on docent availability. Groups of 8 or more require a reservation. For more information, see our Group Tours page.
Shofuso is located on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
Lansdowne and Horticultural Drives
West Fairmount Park
Philadelphia, PA, 19131
- Take Exit 341 from I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway).
- Head west on Montgomery Drive
- Turn left onto Belmont Mansion Drive (at the sign for the Horticultural Center and the Japanese House and Garden)
- Slight left onto Horticultural Drive (pass through the black iron gate)
- Turn right to stay on Horticultural Drive (follow the drive around the greenhouses to the Japanese House)
- Park in the nearby free parking lot
Trucks / Charter Bus Directions
- Take Exit 342 from I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway)
- Turn right onto W Girard Ave
- Turn right onto Parkside Ave
- Turn right onto 41st Dr
- At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit on Lansdowne Dr
- At the stop sign, turn left to stay on Lansdowne Dr
- Drive through the black iron gate
- Park in the nearby free parking lot
Public Transportation Directions
Shofuso is located a five-minute walk from the Please Touch Museum, on the grounds of the Horticulture Center, in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia.
- Take Septa Bus 38, Septa Bus 40, or the PhillyPhlash to the Please Touch Museum.
- If facing the Please Touch Museum, turn left and walk down the Avenue of the Republic until you reach the sign for Shofuso Japanese House and Garden
- Turn right onto the path and follow it until you go through the gate
- Shofuso will be directly ahead