2021 Operations Assistant
The Operations Assistant is a part-time non-exempt seasonal position at the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia (JASGP). JASGP’s goal is to make Greater Philadelphia a nationally and globally known center of Japanese art, business, and culture by promoting mutual friendship and understanding between Greater Philadelphia and Japan.
At JASGP, we continually celebrate cultural flexibility and curiosity through ongoing training and professional development. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our staff and board are representative of our varied stakeholders, including our neighbors in Philadelphia’s West Park and the Japanese heritage community in the Philadelphia region.
JASGP is a private nonprofit organization that connects Japan and Philadelphia through: operating and preserving Shofuso Japanese House and Garden, which hosts over 45,000 visitors each year; producing the Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival with up to 15,000 attendees; presenting a US-Japan Business & Public Policy Series; and providing Japanese arts, business, and cultural programming for all ages.
Working under the supervision of the Associate Director of Administration and Operations, the Operations Assistant will provide office-based administrative support for our varied departments and programs. The successful candidate will have office-based experience, excellent written and verbal communications skills, a demonstrated ability to work independently with strong attention to detail, a desire to work in a friendly, collaborative environment, and an interest in the arts and nonprofits.
This position is a part-time position requiring 24-30 hours per week with flexible scheduling and the possibility for a permanent position in 2022. Some evening and weekend hours may be required. The pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
This position is required to work on site in our socially-distanced office in West Philadelphia Monday through Friday, with other staff members working occasional days at the office, with an expected return for most staff to occasional socially distanced office work as the year progresses. We are a Covid-conscious workplace in a secure and well-ventilated LEED-certified building. We require all staff and visitors to wear masks and socially distance.
- Answer phones and forward messages.
- Respond to general inquiry emails.
- Receive, log, and distribute mail and packages.
- Prepare and mail outgoing letters and packages individually and as part of large planned mailing.
- Scan and properly file digital financial and fundraising records.
- File financial and fundraising paperwork.
- Ensure office neatness and organization, including supplies, kitchen area, storage rooms, and public spaces.
- Schedule meetings and phone calls for the Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be organized, flexible, energetic, and adaptable.
- Eager to learn in a casual and friendly work environment.
- Ability to systematically prioritize a list of tasks and effectively manage time.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, but also collaboratively as needed.
- Excellent communication skills and is comfortable interacting with the public.
- MS Office and Google Suite proficiency is required.
- Experience and confidence with general office machine use (copier/scanner, postage printer).
- Can understand and implement digital and paper-based file organization protocols.
- Experience with Basecamp or other project management platforms is desired but not required.
- Interest in Japanese art and culture is a plus.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and communicate in a professional manner.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Sitting and standing for sustained periods of time.
- Walking and moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Repetitive motion (sustained movements/motions of the wrists, hand and/or fingers).
- Light lifting 20-30 pounds.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- Understand the speech of another person.
How to Apply
This position is open until filled. To apply, send resume and cover letter as a single PDF with your name as the file name to:
Associate Director of Administration & Operations
No phone calls, please.