2020 Marketing Assistant Position Profile
The Marketing Assistant is a seasonal position (May-October) at the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia. The position pays $14/hour and is eligible for up to 37.5 hours/week. The Marketing Assistant will provide support for the Marketing Coordinator with a particular focus on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Linkedin).
The Marketing Assistant will provide administrative and event support for special events held at Shofuso, a traditional Japanese House and Garden located in West Fairmount Park as well as other venues. Experience in photography and/or videography is a plus.
The successful candidate must have strong organization and communication skills. They should have a demonstrated record of reliability, critical thinking, and the ability to engage with clients, guests, staff, and vendors. Shofuso is an historic site, so museum experience is a plus. Knowledge of Japan, Asian studies, museum studies, education, and/or the hospitality industry is a plus.
The Marketing Assistant is responsible for:
- Assisting the Marketing Coordinator with JASGP and Shofuso social media accounts
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Creating Instagram stories
- Answering inquiries via phone, email, and direct messaging
- Editing photos and graphics for web and print
- Documenting events with still and video cameras
- Using Hootsuite, Mailchimp, Surveymonkey and other web-based platforms to manage communications
- Working with the Marketing Coordinator to ensure programs are listed on the website and appropriate promotional calendars.
- Using Basecamp project management software.
- Answering phone and email inquiries regarding programs and events.
- Setting up facility resources as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Marketing Coordinator
Oral communications – Has an interest in working with the public and strives to present the best possible attitude when relaying information about the organization.
Detail-oriented – Can follow directions and adhere to branding guidelines.
Interpersonal skills – Demonstrates hospitality practice in all interactions.
Multi-Tasking – Is able to prioritize and manage multiple projects concurrently
Reliable – Is available weekends, evenings, and other times as scheduled. Punctual.
Written communications – Can communicate effectively by email & with guests.
Cultural Sensitivity – Awareness of and sensitivity to Japanese and Japanese American issues
Creativity – Plays an active role in problem solving, including suggesting ways of improving messaging and promotion.
- Education or experience in marketing, museum education, museum studies, Japanese/East Asian studies, or related field.
- Experience with social media.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite is a plus.
- Experience with photography/videography is a plus.
- Interest and experience with Asian studies, museum studies, recreational studies, education or the hospitality industry is a plus.
- Must be able to lift and move program materials or equipment that weigh up to 40 lbs.
- Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used and possess a valid PA Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass a civil service background clearance check*
- Must be a resident of the City of Philadelphia*
Send resume and cover letter as a single PDF attachment to:
Edward Derbes, Marketing Coordinator
Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia
No phone calls, please.
Deadline: March, 15, 2019