The whole dress is a modified blazer pattern. I took the pattern for Mccalls 6172 since the top was the same. All I needed to do was extend it into a dress, so it would be long enough for her. What I didn’t understand at the time when I first made this was how to really execute the fit well, because I was changing it into a dress. So the first draft didn’t fit my body well because it was fitted to my form. The later version I added darts on the front and the back so it would fit to my body better.
The muffler was something that I had made a while ago for a previous costume, since it was about the same I reused it for this costume. If you’re able to, I always recommend reusing previous costume parts that you might not wear anymore. It will save you money and time in making a new piece.
Her shoes were difficult, because I could easily find the shape and style for her, but not in the right color. So what I did was find a base shoe that I liked and modified it. My base shoe was a black loafer, the shape was exactly what I wanted, but the color was wrong. I used a shoe paint called Angelus Leather Paint, its made for working with shoes and it works around the shoe so it doesn’t chip or come off.
The necklace, the magatama, was molded from sculpey. Sculpey is basically an oven baked clay, you can mold it into whatever shape you like and heat it up to hold the shape. I found the color I needed and molded it into the shape I needed. Around it is clear, plastic, necklace string. It was hidden under the muffler so you wouldn’t be able to see it, much like her reference design. Her attorney’s badge was also molded with sculpt. I attached it to the collar using an earing base, gluing it onto there and then pinning it onto the collar.
I’m pretty satisfied with how I fixed it up and improve upon it in the end!
Photo by Vicious Victor Photography
Photo by Felix Wong Photography