Upcoming Events during JapanPhilly2020:
- Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival will expand into two days, creating a weekend destination in Philadelphia with sponsor Subaru of America.
- Shofuso Obon Festival will expand, with more vendors and a wider range of activities.
Cultural Exchange and Conferences
- Grassroots Summit, is a citizens exchange program between Japan and Philadelphia, organized by John Manjiro Commemorative Center for International Exchange (CIE). The Summit includes homestays, an opening ceremony at the Franklin Institute, and a closing ceremony at the Independence Seaport Museum.
- National Association of Japan America Societies (NAJAS) annual conference will take place in Philadelphia.
- The 12th International America-Japan Society Symposium will be hosted by JASGP partnered with NAJAS and the America-Japan Society, Inc. of Tokyo.
Arts Exhibitions and Programs
- “Shofuso and Modernism” exhibition, presented by JASGP, tells the story of friendship and architectural achievements of Junzo Yoshimura, George Nakashima, and Antonin and Noemi Raymond in mid-century Japan and Greater Philadelphia. The program is organized in partnership with George Nakashima Woodworkers, Raymond Farm Center for Living Arts & Design in New Hope and Wakita Museum in Karuizawa, Japan.
- The Rosenbach Museum will be exhibiting the John Manjiro Manuscript written in 1852 from the museum collection.
- Tyler School of Art at Temple University presents an exhibition on its former Printmaking professor, Arthur Flory’s (1914-1972) journey to Japan, cultural exchange and international collaboration through printmaking.
- Fleisher Art Memorial displays the history of Japanese Americans who settled in the Greater Philadelphia area during and after the Second World War throughout a photography exhibition.
- Collaborative Cataloging Japan presents the works of Shuzo Azuchi Gulliver (b. 1947), a Japanese experimental film artist, curated by Ann Adachi at Haverford University.
- Rosenwald Wolf Gallery at the University of the Arts presents Gutai, an innovative artists’ group from Osaka, Japan, founded in 1954.
- Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival is an annual, week-long Japanese film festival.
- US-Japan Business & Public Policy programs will occur throughout the year with partners Japan Export Trade Organization (JETRO), the Japan America Society of Pennsylvania (JASP) in Pittsburgh, PA, and media partner Philadelphia Business Journal.