What We Do
Shofuso is a traditional-style Japanese house and nationally ranked garden in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, administered by the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia (JASGP). We preserve, maintain, and interpret Shofuso and provide educational programs about Japanese arts, business, and culture.
How You Will Contribute
The JASGP is seeking temporary, seasonal, part time Visitor Services Assistants (VSAs).
VSAs are an integral part of the day-to-day operations of Shofuso, and are our primary contact with visitors. VSAs are responsible for ensuring that visitors have a positive experience. We are looking for friendly and helpful individuals with a background or interest in Japan and a strong commitment to customer service, who enjoy working with guests of various ages and backgrounds.
Specifically, you will…
- Anticipate visitor needs to provide quality interactions, including leading tours, answering guest questions, and performing special programs.
- Staff the admissions window, including ticket and gift shop sales. Cash handling experience is a plus.
- Assist in preserving and maintaining the historic site, including cleaning and light gardening as well as promoting visitor compliance with site preservation policies.
- Answer phone inquiries.
- Other duties as requested.
Shofuso is a beautiful gem in a natural park setting!
This is an outdoor position in scenic Fairmount Park. As such, working conditions require operating continuously outdoors in nature, including cool spring and fall temperatures and hot summer months. This is a fast-paced, multi-tasking position that requires anticipation of future problems and the ability to make judgment calls without direct supervision. VSAs must have the ability to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 40 lbs.
- This position is expected to last March 15th through October 31st.
- Shofuso is open to the public April through October. Hours of operation are Wednesday through Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm; Saturday and Sunday 10:00am – 6:00pm.
- This position is expected to average 15 hours per week, 5-8 hours per shift. Availability for weekend and holiday hours, occasional Monday and Tuesday hours, and occasional extended shifts for early morning and/or evening special programs is required.
We expect every employee to work collaboratively with others in this small and close-knit organization. We expect employees to build and maintain strong and positive relationships with coworkers, inspired by our shared mission. Employees share work spaces, and are expected to keep a clean, organized, and professional working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and welcomes individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds.
This position pays $12/hr.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Visitor Services Supervisor, James Webster, at email@example.com. Apply no later than March 7 for consideration.