Located in the west section of Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Shofuso Japanese House and Garden is a 17th century style Japanese house featuring a viewing garden with koi pond and island, a tea garden, and a courtyard garden. Originally built in Japan, Shofuso has been in Philadelphia since 1958 and has been preserved and interpreted by the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia since 1982. It is our mission to promote intercultural understanding through programming about Japanese art and culture.
Under the direct supervision of the Education Manager, the Education Assistant will assist with programming at Shofuso, the classroom at Sakura Pavilion as well as community and school partners. A major component of the position will be working with youth in the summer camp program. The position is full-time, seasonal with an ending date of October 31st. Wages are set and paid by the City of Philadelphia. As of 2016, this position paid $12.00/hr.
- Position begins May 15.
- Up to 40 hours per week May 15th through October 31st
- Weekend and evening hours for special events will occasionally be necessary.
- Schedule can afford some flexibility as approved by the Education Manager.
Support education programs
- Outdoorsy – Comfortable working in an indoor classroom as well as an outdoor pavilion, house and garden in a variety of weather conditions.
- Upbeat – Able to work with children, parents, visitors and staff in a friendly manner.
- Positive Work Ethic – Shows up to work on time and ready to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Proactive – Will be motivated to act in anticipation of future issues or needs.
- Detail Oriented – Pays special attention to instruction and demonstrations in order to perform duties with precision.
- Experience working with youth in the 3rd through 6th grades
- Ability to lead hands-on, organized workshops for a range of ages
- Demonstrated experience creating lesson plans, study guides and educational activities
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage time.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, but also collaboratively as needed
- Possesses excellent communication skills and is comfortable interacting with the public
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Pass a civil service clearance check.
- Resident of the City of Philadelphia
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
Application deadline is May 10th.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter via email with subject line “Education Assistant (first name.last name) to:
Friends of the Japanese House and Garden
Please, no phone calls about this position.