The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of the National Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) 501C(3) charitable organization. The Executive Director reports to the National JACL Board, and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director serves as the spokesperson for the JACL on civil rights issues and concerns which are related to the objectives of the JACL; and manages and directs the administrative, program, and policy affairs of the National JACL organization.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the National JACL Board and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the National JACL Council and the National JACL Board. • Accountable for financial management and accounting, property and maintenance of physical facilities, equipment, disbursement and expenditure of funds, and revenue development activities for non-Pacific Citizen operations. • Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization, with the exception of the Pacific Citizen, to carry out its work • Serve the JACL as the chief advocate and spokesperson to the general public, including mass media,government, business, coalition partners, and community.
Recommended Education, Training and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) from an accredited university or college, and successful, progressive, work experience of five (5) years (preferred).
- Proven interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; past experience working with the media. • Demonstrated leadership qualities with mature judgment and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated management and supervision experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budget and financial management.
- Knowledge of the JACL’s organization, programs, activities, and goals for the future, or demonstrated active participation in the JACL.
- Understanding and working knowledge of current civil rights issues, governmental relations, political and social affairs; and the ability to communicate and work with all elements along the political continuum, including other civil rights organizations.
- Knowledge of and experience working on issues of Japanese Americans, Asian Pacific Americans, other people of color, and at-risk communities.
Salary is negotiable and is commensurate with candidate’s education, experience and other attributes that are relevant to the position.
Benefits include FICA, health/dental/vision insurance, life and disability insurance, workers compensation, unemployment insurance. Full-time employee is eligible for retirement program after one year of employment. Full personnel policies and affirmative action plan available on request.
Title: Executive Director
Reports To: National JACL Board
Status: Regular Full-Time
Position Location: Any Regional Office with a strong preference in the Washington, D.C. Office
Headquarters: San Francisco, CA Office
Regional Offices: Los Angeles and San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL, Washington D.C.
HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINE: Receive via email by SATURDAY, APRIL 08, 2017, at 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).
SUBMIT: Cover letter, résumé, three (3) examples of your writing skills, and three (3) references to Michelle Amano, Vice President for General Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, please contact Michelle Amano at 301-412-3866.