Join us in celebrating the growth and well-being of your children in the traditional Shinto ritual of shichi-go-san! This beautiful ceremony, open to 3 and 7 year-old girls and 5 year-old boys, is an opportunity to get photos of your child dressed in traditional kimono against Shofuso’s backdrop by Kuniko Kanawa, a trained photographer, Shinto priestess, and kimono expert.
Traditionally, Shichi-go-san is a Shinto ritual. We offer an optional tamagushi-ryo ceremonial service led by ordained Shinto priestess, Rev. Kuniko Kanawa, to humbly appreciate and pray to kami (deities) for your child’s growth and well-being. This ceremony is an additional $50. For $15 per additional family members, up to 4 people to participate in the photo shoot. Kimono dressing and rental is for the 753 child only. Additional photos may be purchased for $15 per photo.
Space is limited; only 4 slots are available. Registration closes October 10th at 3 PM. Please note that there are no refunds for cancellations after October 10 at 5:00 PM, and there will be no refunds for missed appointments.
After looking through thumbnail capture images, you will receive 8 high-resolution digital images sent by email 1 to 2 weeks following the appointment (including a head, whole-body, and back shot). You will receive an additional courtesy photo if you agree to allow Atelier Kanawa and Shofuso Japanese House and Garden to use photos for promotional purposes on websites and flyers. Maximum photo print size ranges from 5×7 to 5×11.
The photography session will use the backdrop of scenic Shofuso Japanese House and Garden, with specific areas selected by the photographer. Your child will be dressed in traditional kimono and posed with chitose-ame candy-bag and other traditional props.
- 3 & 7 year-old girls: choose from selections of three different colorful & gorgeous kimono, obi sashes, and hair accessories. The size (from shoulder to bottom) for 3 year old girls is 93 cm; for 7 year old girls, it is 132 cm.
- 5 year-old boys: choose from a selection of three different color & gorgeous pattern haori-hakama. The size of kimono for boys is 100 cm from shoulder to the ankle and 70 cm for hakama from pelvis to below the ankle.
Please arrive with your child’s hair and makeup ready, clean, and unscented. Please use the restroom before your session. Please bring activities for your child in case you might need to wait longer than expected.
- Dressing & photo shoot takes approximately one hour per person. Please plan accordingly in case the photo shoot runs longer than planned.
- You are welcome to take a few photos with a compact camera. However, please refrain from photographing all the poses, especially with high performance digital camera, as it will disturb the photo shoot progress and the time schedule.
- Please watch your children to avoid any damage of the kimono and studio equipment. Damages must be compensated.
- No food, drink, or outdoor shoes are allowed inside Shofuso.