Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure was a series I had been meaning to pick up for the longest time. When the anime was released I decided to finally sit down and give it a chance, and I’m really glad I did. The series is far more fantastic then I would have imagined. After blowing through the anime I had to go back and read through the manga. With the series being over 20 years old, it took quite a bit of time to catch up. But once I did I was ready to cosplay from it.
I picked Hot Pants from Steal Ball Run (part 7), because I really liked her character. I had just finished that part and absolutely needed to cosplay her. One of the fun parts about cosplaying from Jojo is the freedom you have with the choice of your fabric and colors. A lot of the colors are pretty inconsistent in the manga, so much so that most people who cosplay from the series tend to pick what color pallets they like the best, or what might work the best for the character. The series is also know for being pretty outrageous in color and choice of clothing, so I really got to step outside of my normal comfort zone in fabric choices.
For color combination I decided to go with hot pink as my main color. A lot of different people seem to interpret the main color like that, so I ended up going that way too. I was lucky enough to find a really fun hot pink fabric that had a bit of a shimmer to it. I knew it would catch the light well so I was really excited that I had found it. My secondary colors I decided on was gold and brown, because both of them went really well with the pink. The gold was in the details like her leggings and the leaves on her dress, while the brown was the small bit of fur details she had. I ended up using black shoes because that’s just what I had on hand, and I thought it worked well with the costume.
The dress pattern was simple; I just used McCalls 6102 for it. Rather then make it a separate part, I decided to attach the sleeves to the dress and save myself the extra layer. The bottom has a fur trim, that I sewed on similar to how you would sew on a bias. It worked well for the fur, because the stitch line was hidden with the layers of fur. Thankfully I only really had to had the one layer, because working with the fur was messy, stray bits of fur was getting everywhere!
I decided to make the capelet a separate piece from the dress to make it easier to sew. I worked from my muslin mockup and cut down from there. The closure for this is a strip of Velcro that runs down the back. The small cowl part that hangs off it is attached to the caplet. The back opens up and the cowl stretches enough that I can easily fit my head through.
The hat was made off of a base hat that I had found on ebay. I found a shape I liked and covered it in fabric. The fabric is mostly glued on, only a few parts sewn on before I secured it with glue. The top part of the hat coming out is craft foam covered in fabric and glued to the top. I unfortunately forgot initially to size the hat with the wig on, so when I tried it on completed, it didn’t fit. I needed to cut a vent in the back so it would fit my head.
The sleeves and the leggings was this amazing glitter spandex that I had bought from spandex world. It was a bit expensive, but the effect I got was worth it, I had glitter in my craft room for days after the project! The sleeves were made and attached to the dress. I made a pair of leggings out of the rest of the material, so it would be easier to wear. The leggings were based off an old pair of leggings that I had already owned, that were old, so I could cut them up and make them into a pair. I made them only to my knees, so that I could attach the pink fabric to them to act as legwarmers. The leg warmer parts were sewn onto the leggings, and then they could open and close with Velcro.
The belt was the most interesting accessory I’ve had to make. The buckle itself was sculpted from Sculpy, painted in a few layers of metallic gold paint, as well as some dimension painting added around the buckle. The pieces of the belt were a mix of craft foam for texture, and then foam core boards for support. The connecting rings were craft foam glued together. The closure for the belt was a piece of Velcro, hidden under a piece of craft foam and wrapped around one of the rings. I was pleasantly surprised how well it all held together, I was really experimenting with this, so I wasn’t sure how it was going to work out.
Overall I was very happy with how everything came together for this costume. It was a costume I got to experiment a lot on, and play with a lot of fun fabrics, and I’m glad I got the chance to.
Photos by Vicious Victor Photography