A friend of mine came to me and asked if I would cosplay Persona 2 with her. I love being part of cosplay groups with friends as well as cosplaying from a series I really like. Persona 2 isn’t as popular or as well known as Persona 3 and 4, but its an extremely fantastic game that deserves more attention from the hardcore JRPG fans.
My first step was to pattern out and sew the blouse and skirt part. The blouse was made from Butterick 5284. There wasn’t much I needed to alter from the pattern. Instead of doing the buttons I added a detachable zipper in the front. The zippers on the side could open and close, but sadly they were not functional pockets. The hearts were just topstitched on top, the ribbing detail hid any of the top stitching that needed to be done. The skirt is a simple box pleat skirt with a single pleat in the front and back. The odd garter detail is sewn in with the skirt, so the garter and the skirt are all one piece. The parts that hang down at the bottom were just sculpted from sculpty. I made sure I made a hole so the fabric could wrap around and I could sew it down.
Maya Amano’s outfit is one that looks deceptively simple, because it’s a blouse top and a skirt. However she had a very odd detail that was on the skirt and top, one that I enjoyed working to solve and create. The way I interpreted it was it looked like a large, ribbing detail. For the base of what I’d wanted to attach the detail onto, I sewed on some scrap pleather I had laying around, so the ribbing detail would have something to be on top of, also just in case there was any gaps between the ribbing.
For the ribbing detail I used craft foam as the material. I took a sheet of craft foam and painted over it in black paint. Then over top that I sealed the paint with a layer of mod podge. The paint and layer of mod podge helped make the material a bit stiffer, as well as created a shine that I liked for the costume. On the other side of the foam I applied a layer of heat n bond. The craft foam was cut up into the individual pieces that would be put together on the costume to make the ribbing detail. On each piece I applied fabric glue to the heat n bond side and placed it on the costume. I let the glue dry and then I took and iron to the other side of the costume (opposite of where I stuck the ribbing detail). The iron would met the heat n bond to the pleather that I had sewn down to give it a better hold to the costume. I basically repeated this process all along the costume until the ribbing was finished. The glue plus heat n bond held up pretty well. I really only had one or two fall off by the end of the day.
The last detail was the tie, which was made from scrap material I had sitting around. I was rather proud that I had made it an actual functioning tie, rather then a false one that I had done plenty of times before. The group I was part of ended up being amazing, I was really excited to be able to do this with them!
Photos by Felix Wong Photography
Baofu | Lisa | Maya | Tatsuya | Jun | Ulala | Eriko | Kei