I’ve always been a big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series of games, more recently the Persona series. I had put off playing them for the longest time, but finally broke down when my friend let me borrow her copy. I really liked the game, most importantly I liked Rise the most. She was just so cute and bubbly, and I felt for her backstory, so of course I had to make her.
Her costume is broken down into two simple parts, the top and the skirt. This was a fairly basic costume to put together, the details being just a little tedious rather then difficult.
When you’re working on a cosplay, you’ll find that most commercial patterns won’t fit you exactly how you’d like. Some parts might be too big or small. It’s because these patterns are meant to fit general sizes. You’ll have to adjust the pattern to fit your body if you want the outfit to look right. The best way to do this is to do a muslin mockup of the pattern. Muslin is really cheep, thin fabric that people generally use for patterning. It allows you to cut out your pattern shape, then you can cut and adjust it to what you need before you cut into your costume fabric. Then once you get your mockup right, you can use that as your pattern. Muslin is really cheep and easy to buy at any fabric store.
For the top I picked a basic twill, which works for any basic suit or uniform. One of the nice things about a twill is how it really doesn’t wrinkle. If you’d need to, you’d just need to iron it on a low setting. The base of the top is made from Simplicity 8523, I wanted the V neck they had and the basic shape. But the shirt is meant to be loose, so I had to take it in to be more fitted to me.
Looking at her reference, she had these little seam details on the top, all I did for that was create panels and top stitched them on top. They’re not really super obvious, but I wanted the detail there, so it was really for myself.
The little modesty collar with the logo on it was just painted on. I used the freezer paper method and painted it on. I sewed in a little clasp so I can open it and stick my head through. The turtleneck is actually a dickie that I had bought. Rather then deal with the extra layer of a turtleneck, I thought it be easier to just use a dickie.
The white stitching detail was all done by hand. I used embroidery floss and a chenille needle. A chenille needle is basically a thicker needle, something that I could use to break through the fabric with a thicker thread. I went through by hand and just stitched it in. You can take a piece of chalk and mark off the fabric by hand, but I just sort of eyed it up for the most part. The stitching goes all along the top. It surprisingly wasn’t as time consuming as I thought it would be.
The sailor collar is based off of Simplicity 2072. Their collar goes down a bit lower then what I would need it to, so I needed to adjust it for my own top. The yellow stripe is just a piece of bias tape top stitched down onto the collar.
The fabric for the skirt was probably the toughest part. They have a rather specific color, grey on black, which I wasn’t lucky enough to find. So I found a cotton print, black and white, houndstooth and I dyed it grey. For the dye I just used basic Rit Grey Dye. After that it was rather easy to make up a pleated skirt. I used Butterick 5285 and shortened it to the length I needed.
For the shoes all I did was paint the stitching detail on, otherwise they’re basic black loafers. I used fabric paint for the stitching, though I probably wouldn’t recommend it again, because after I wore the costume, the detail started to peal off. If you want something more permeate, I would use shoe paint.
The wig was bought from Epic Cosplay, who was rather wonderful and got my wig to me pretty quickly. And that’s the details of my Rise costume!
Photo by Felix Wong Photography