While it’s not a game that has or probably will ever be brought to the US, Captain Cook was such a cute design; I found myself in love right off the bat. She has a pretty simple nautical theme, with a bunch of little details that wouldn’t be too difficult to do. I had wanted to make her for the longest time and finally come Otakon I did. Otakon was the perfect con for it, because of the inner harbor and the boats that tourist could use.
Her costume breaks down into three parts; her jacket, dress and hat. The dress you never really see fully, since in the game you don’t see her take off the jacket, I had some freedom of choice when designing the dress. I decided to make a simple A line dress, something that I could wear to deal with the weather since it could get really hot, it was also a nice way to avoid making an extra set of sleeves. The pattern I used was Simplicity 2324, and then I adjusted it to fit me, as well as shortened it a bit. The base of the dress is twill, while the blue center is sateen.
The yellow details on my dress were bias that I made and top stitched onto the dress. In this case I wanted a specific shade of yellow that I couldn’t find as regular bias tape. So I bought quilting squares and created bias tape from that. The size is about an inch and a half when it’s unfolded. For anyone that doesn’t really sew, bias tape is thin strips of fabric you can use for details around the edge of the fabric. You can use it for finishing edges that you don’t want to hem, or just make a really interesting looking detail. It’s usually some time of basic cotton, and its really basic to make on your own. Since I was top stitching it down onto the fabric, one of the things I did to make it easier on myself was to glue the folded pieces of bias tape down against one another, pin it to the fabric and sew it down. Most bias tape comes pre-folded, ironing down your fabric helps make those sorts of creases. But this was something I did to make it easier on myself.
While in some screenshots it seemed to imply the dress closed from the front with the buttons, I decided not to do that, and for ease of wear, install a zipper in the back. The buttons on the dress are purely decoration and don’t hold the dress closed at all.
The jacket was modified from a men’s jacket pattern Simplicity 4083. It was the only thing I could find in the right style, but it needed be heavily modified to fit a woman’s size and frame. The jacket is adjusted so it fits my frame, and has the right kind of shape to it to match her jacket. I ended up going through a lot of muslin to achieve this shape. It’s mostly taken in around the waistline and left larger around the base, so the coat looks more billowy.
Sometimes your source material can vary. In this case there was some slight differences between the art in the initial release image and the in game screenshots. In the game she has a bias detail following all around her jacket, while in the initial image she doesn’t. I decided to add it in my costume, because I felt like it made it more complete looking overall. Sewing a bias detail isn’t too difficult. Doing a corner is what people find the most challenging. I used this tutorial to help me do a mitered corner. I highly recommend checking it out, because it was the easiest way that I learned how to do it. The jacket doesn’t have any real closures to it; the buttons are decorative much like on the dress. The two buttons on the shoulder straps do hold them down however.
The hat was one of the more interesting parts I had to contend with. I bought a costume hat off of ebay, because it looked the closest for what I needed. When I got it, it was much larger then what I needed in person. Thankfully it was made out of a stiff felt material, making it easy to cut down and adjust to what I needed. Once I cut it down to size, I glued the bias around the brim of the hat with a hot glue gun. The bow was sewn together, and then glued onto the hat like the bias. The hat was too thick to sew through with my machine so it was just easier to just glue the fabric on.
The hat when I initially got it.
Finished hat plus the finished wig.
The wig wasn’t too difficult; she just has two pigtail braids with the metal loops at the end. It was a bit difficult to loop the rings in, I just had to tie it all together with a clear band to try and hide the fact that it was holding it up. The wig I got from Epic Cosplay Wigs.
The accessories I was able to have a bit of freedom with, like the shoes. You only really properly see her shoes once, so I wanted to pick something I thought would look nice with the costume, as well as offer just a bit of a heel. The gloves were something I used with my Meiko costume, and the glasses were something I already owned.
Here are the finished photos of my Cook cosplay, enjoy!
Photos by Felix Wong Photography.